Deaf Connexions provides a range of opportunities to learn British Sign Language.
We have three inhouse Deaf qualified BSL tutors.
“Signature” is the leading nationally recognised accredited body who provide a range of Sign Language and communication courses. www.signature.org.uk
Deaf Connexions regularly runs a BSL level one and BSL level two fully accredited courses. These courses are your first stepping stones towards carers with Deaf people.
BSL level one is a 32 week course 64 tutored hours and has three assessments at the end two of which are externally examined and has 9 credit value.
BSL level two is a 50 week course 100 tutored hours and has three assessments at the end which are all externally examined and has 15 credit value. Deaf Connexions provides free assessments for anyone wishing to join our BSL level two courses
For both the above course you must pass all assessments to be awarded your pass certificate
Deaf Connexions does not provide ABC sign language courses
We also offer a 5 or 10 week basic BSL course at your work place or venue. The current costs per student are £50 for 5 weeks and £100 for ten weeks. We do need a minimum of 6 students to run a course.
Please contact us to discuss your needs.
- BSL Level 1. Deaf Connexions is running two BSL Level 1, Signature credited, courses. Starting this October and November. These will take place at The Deaf Community Centre in Norwich. Please see our flyers for more information BSL Level 1 - October - BSL Level 1 - November
- "Start to Sign". This is our own “inhouse” sign language course. We have developed this ourselves working with the Deaf community and our Deaf tutors. The course is 20 weeks long and for two hours a session. It covers a range of basic BSL vocabulary and Deaf awareness. It is a good starting place and will prepare you for a level one course. The course takes place in the Deaf Centre, Johnson Place, Norwich. Please contact us for the next start date.
- Five and Ten week basic sign language course. This can be delivered to you at you venue, in the work place, or schools or community centres. It will give you the signs you need for basic communication and can be tailored to your requirements. Both courses are for two hours each week.
- Thursday Morning BSL Coffee Morning. Every Thursday 10.00 to 12.00 we run a BSL coffee morning at the Deaf Centre, Johnson Place, Norwich. It is an informal friendly place for you to come and learn sign language with Deaf and hearing people of all ages and abilities. It is free to attend and anyone is welcome to come along.
- "Sign Zone". Every Thursday evening 6.30 to 8.30 at the Deaf Centre, Johnson Place, Norwich. We welcome BSL students who are learning level one or level two or anyone who wishes to brush up their skills.
- The "Talking Hands" BSL Cafe is open at the Deaf Centre Tuesday, Wednesday and Thrsday. You can buy a tea or coffee and light snacks.
All our sessions and training are provided by qualified Deaf Tutors.
|BSL Level ONE||September 2017||7-9pm||The Deaf A Centre, Johnson Place, Norwich, NR2 2SA|
|BSL Level ONE||October 4th||7-9pm||Deaf Centre Kings Lynn|
BSL Level TWO
|February 2018||TBC||The Deaf A Centre, Johnson Place, Norwich, NR2 2SA|
If you are interested in doing BSL Level Two, please contact us to make an appointment for an informal chat and free assesment with our Sign Language Tutor. He willl advise you if you are ready for the course.
Back to top of page
We run a number of BSL conversation sessions for anyone interested in improving their British Sign Language skills. The sessions are open to Deaf and hearing people and we particularly welcome parents and relatives of Deaf children. The sessions vary, but are all lively and fun, and are a very good opportunity to meet other signers in a relaxed and friendly environment. They run all year round (with only a Christmas/New Year break) at the following times and places:
Norwich - BSL Coffee morning
Coffee Morning and Sign! - provides an opportunity for people to come and learn BSL. The group is run by our BSL level 6 Deaf community worker, Julie Dwyer..
Opening times: Every Thursday morning 10.00 to 12.00
Venue: At the Deaf Centre, Johnson Place, Vauxhall Street, Norwich, NR2 2SA
Norwich - Sign Zone
Sign Zone Every Thursday evening 6.30 to 8.30 at the Deaf Centre, Johnson Place, Norwich. We welcome BSL students who are learning level one or level two or anyone who wishes to brush up their skills.
Opening times: Thursday evenings 6.30 to 8.30 pm
Venue: The Deaf Centre, Johnson Place, Norwich, NR2 2SA